• Home  
  • Portuguese Tourist Stabbed to Death in Albania — Suspect Found Hiding in Car Boot
- Headline - News

Portuguese Tourist Stabbed to Death in Albania — Suspect Found Hiding in Car Boot

TIRANA, Aug. 18 (Balkan View) – Albanian police have arrested a 29-year-old man suspected of fatally stabbing a young Portuguese tourist in the southern resort of Ksamil, a killing that has drawn scrutiny during the peak summer season and widened into an investigation involving dozens of witnesses, two Turkish nationals and a police officer. The […]

TIRANA, Aug. 18 (Balkan View) – Albanian police have arrested a 29-year-old man suspected of fatally stabbing a young Portuguese tourist in the southern resort of Ksamil, a killing that has drawn scrutiny during the peak summer season and widened into an investigation involving dozens of witnesses, two Turkish nationals and a police officer.

The victim was identified as Luis Miguel Varela Mendes, born in September 2005 and travelling with a group of tourists. Early reports incorrectly identified him as French before authorities established that he was Portuguese.

Police suspect Sokrat Vata, 29, from Has, of carrying out the stabbing after a confrontation near the Principotes beach complex in Ksamil in the early hours of Tuesday.

Vata fled after the killing but was arrested several hours later near Levan, Fier, according to Albanian media citing the investigation. He was reportedly discovered hiding in the boot of a Ford carrying two Turkish nationals.

Investigators are working to determine what triggered the confrontation.

Witness accounts reported by Albanian media suggest an argument may have begun inside the venue over an alleged incident involving a woman before developing into a larger fight.

Friends of the victim told investigators that Mendes intervened in an attempt to separate people involved in the confrontation and was subsequently stabbed.

That account remains part of the preliminary investigation and authorities have not announced a definitive motive.

Dozens questioned as police examine security footage

At least 42 people were taken to Saranda police station for questioning, according to TV Klan, including employees of the venue and customers who may have witnessed the incident.

Investigators have seized security-camera footage in an effort to reconstruct the sequence of events.

Police are also examining the role of two Turkish nationals who were in the vehicle in which Vata was found.

According to testimony reported by local media, the two said they knew Vata socially and had paid him for security and bodyguard services. They denied involvement in the killing and said they helped transport him because they considered him a friend.

Their precise role remains under investigation.

Albanian media also reported that a 24-year-old police officer was detained on suspicion that he had been involved in the initial confrontation and later helped the suspect leave the area.

The owner of the venue was also reported to be wanted for questioning after allegedly leaving the area following the incident.

Those allegations have not yet resulted in final judicial findings.

Suspect was jailed for five years in Britain

Vata had a documented criminal record in Britain before returning to Albania.

British court reporting confirms that Cambridge Crown Court sentenced him to five years in prison on Sept. 25, 2024, after he admitted two counts of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs, two counts of dangerous driving, possession of cannabis and drug driving.

In April 2024, Vata was driving a stolen Toyota RAV4 in Cambridge when police attempted to stop him. He fled at speed, abandoned the vehicle and threw a package containing cocaine into a bush before officers found him hiding in the back garden of a property.

Police found £560 in cash on him and additional number plates in the vehicle. Tests also showed he had been driving under the influence of drugs.

British authorities linked him to another incident earlier that month in Kent, where he overturned a vehicle carrying cloned number plates while trying to escape police on the A20 near East Malling. Bags of cocaine and number plates were recovered from that vehicle.

That verified conviction is more serious than some early Albanian reports, which referred only to previous offences involving cocaine, an offensive weapon and driving violations.

Killing puts spotlight on safety in peak tourist season

The killing occurred in one of Albania’s busiest tourist destinations at the height of the summer season.

Ksamil, near Saranda and opposite the Greek island of Corfu, has become one of Albania’s best-known international tourism destinations in recent years.

Socialist Party parliamentary group leader Taulant Balla praised police for locating the suspect quickly but said the killing of a foreign visitor was incompatible with Albania’s tradition of hospitality.

“The loss of the life of a foreign tourist is not in the Albanian tradition. They come to Albania trusting in Albanian hospitality,” Balla said, adding that the justice system should now “do its duty and set an example”.

The opposition Democratic Party used the case to criticise the government’s record on public security, arguing that policing had become too focused on reacting to crimes rather than preventing them.

Investigators are continuing to examine witness testimony, security footage and the possible involvement of others.

For now, authorities have treated Vata as the principal suspect. The exact motive, the roles of those who allegedly helped him after the stabbing and the circumstances that led a young Portuguese visitor into the fatal confrontation remain under investigation.

About Us

Adress:


Bul. Ilirya, Nr.5/2-1, 1200 Tetovo
 
Republic of North Macedonia
 
BalkanView is media outlet of BVS

Contact: +389 70 250 516

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

BalkanView  @2025. All Rights Reserved.